DEK Technologies applies innovative solutions to complex challenges and has the capacity to take each project from feasibility to reality.
We have extensive experience in handling design projects of any size – from small, self-contained developments to large, complex global undertakings.
Blade Server for Telecoms
Airport Access Controller
Intelligent Traffic Systems
Blade Server for Telecoms
Blade Server for TelecomsSystem Overview
Working with a major global company, DEK Technologies played a key role in developing an ultra-high capacity Blade Server system that is used by many of the biggest Telecommunications operators around the world.
This multi-year, international project utilized design teams in Europe, Asia, North America and Australia to develop a highly scalable and modular Blade Server system that has achieved class leading In-Service-Performance.
The Blade Server system also enables simplified communication networks and easier adjustment to increased capacity demands. Overall, the solution provides a significantly lower OPEX than alternatives.
A follow up project provided further reductions in handling costs by introducing Single System Image concepts particularly in the I/O space and for file handling.DEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies provided deep competence in high availability, fault tolerant systems design and implementation. This competence had been built up over two decades of work within the Telecom industry.
DEK Technologies worked in many areas of the project:
• Implementation of a blade server prototype. This was developed over several phases allowing early feedback on clustering performance, potential handling issues and interwork between the application layer and the platform layer.
• DEK Technologies was part of the small core team of people working on the cluster handler protocols used in the heart of the blade server.
• Prestudy for the platform functions within the blade server.
• Detailed pre-execution studies for clustering functions and maintenance functions. The existing maintenance functions were greatly simplified to reflect the different software redundancy approaches introduced via clustering.
• Implementation and testing of several key platform functions.
• Preparation and delivery of knowledge transfer workshops in several countries.
• Participation in end to end testing.
• Preparation of user documentation for several functions.
• Customer support.
During the follow up project, DEK Technologies had responsibility for the new backup and cloning functions which simplified file handling while also introducing new blade and cluster recovery principles.
Airport Access Controller
Airport Security - Gate Access ControllerSystem Overview
The "Leonardo Da Vinci" (Fiumicino) International Airport in Rome implemented a centralized access control system for airport security called EasyTouch.
EasyTouch is a smart RFID card reader with a touch screen display and was installed at all 200 (boarding and landing) passenger gates.
EasyTouch communicates with the Airport’s Access Control System in order to grant the correct transit procedures. This allows the airport’s staff to manage the input and output procedures and synchronizing of the doors and elevators.
Although EasyTouch is customized for the airport, it is easily configurable for other applications.DEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies was involved in the complete end to end design process for EasyTouch, including requirements definition, detailed design and implementation, integration and verification.
DEK Technologies designed the system architecture. This included all the blocks, the interfaces between blocks and interfaces toward the Airport mainframe system.
DEK Technologies designed the I/O board. This included the HW/FW interfaces to the airport control access system which consisted of several I/O interfaces and protocols like Wiegand.
DEK Technologies designed the Touch-Screen SW. This included the SW application running on the Linux based board in C++ with QT as graphical library.
Intelligent Traffic Systems
School Zone Alert SystemSystem Overview
The New South Wales (NSW) state government implemented a ‘safety around schools’ initiative that includes a variable speed zone in the immediate road environment around the entrances to schools.
In response to lower than desired compliance to the 40km/h speed zones, the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) implemented a series of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) to alert drivers of the speed limit around school zones. The ITS systems are known as School Zone Alert Systems (SZAS).
The SZAS consists of two main parts
• The Central Management Computer (CMC) provides a central point for real-time control of the local displays around the school zones within the state.
• The Sign Controller (SC) is the locally installed intelligent unit that communicates (via 3G or satellite) with the CMC and drives the speed zone displays.DEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies developed a next generation Sign Controller that costs less to manufacture, consumes less power and has a smaller footprint than its predecessor. These next generation Sign Controllers allow for full remote monitoring and control and are being deployed across 3500 sites over a wide area.
The DEK Technologies developed Sign Controller enables RMS to
• Remotely control the operation of all School Zone Signs across the state from one Central Management Computer
• Remotely monitor the operational status of all Signs (including display health, battery health, signal strength etc)
• Promptly respond to issues (e.g. display failure) that are immediately reported by the Sign Controllers
• Prepare accurate and timely performance/service delivery reports for the operation of the School Zone Alert System
DEK Technologies was responsible for the system design and development, verification and customer field support for the next generation Sign Controller.
Radiation DetectionSystem Overview
In 2008, DEK Technologies worked with an Australian company to improve a Gamma Ray Spectroscopy system.
Accurate, real time measurement of radiation can be utilized in a number of industries (medical, defence, security and mining being some examples). The technique allows non-invasive characterisation of materials.
A common problem with previously existing systems is that the system will be overloaded with radiation events. A novel signal processing algorithm had been developed to reduce this problem and this was further enhanced by DEK’s work to implement this algorithm in hardware.DEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies performed FPGA, GUI and MATLAB design work within this project.
The original implementation of the algorithm was in MATLAB software, which required data acquisition followed by post processing. DEK implemented an FPGA version of the algorithm, which enabled orders of magnitude speedup and also real time operation. DEK created our own library of floating point adders, multipliers and dividers which had much better performance than the library available from the FPGA vendor. DEK also performed system testing and participated in GUI implementation.
Geothermal energy is used at a number of locations in Italy. In order to reduce energy costs at these sites, DEK Technologies has developed an open modular platform for energy management called Telegea which is being used in home, business and data centre applications. The largest system installed (so far) is at an Italian Military airport.
Telegea performs the following steps for thermal energy control and monitoring:
• The remote device collects raw data from the sensors and sends the data to the server every day in a compressed form.
• A script based program calculates the thermal energy parameters and other variables.
• The data are stored into a database.
• The data can be fetched by a Web application and displayed to the end user on a PC, Tablet or Smartphone.
• By controlling the Active/Passive cooling system Telegea automatically chooses the best way to keep a comfortable temperature.
In a data centre application Telegea provides the following features:
• Energy saving with “free-cooling”
• Tracking of saved CO2 and monetary savings (in Euro) provided by “free-cooling”
• Monitoring of room temperatures and humidity
• Monitoring TLC systems temperature
• Monitoring TLC systems power consumption
• Monitoring cooling system power consumption
• Monitoring office temperatures
• Alarms can be sent via email, Twitter or FacebookDEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies has developed Telegea as a modular hardware and software platform using cloud computing and machine-to-machine communication. The platform is based on three main components:
• Remote Telegea gateway for collecting data, remote control and performing automation tasks
• Central Telegea server for data storage and processing
• User interface for easy and intuitive access to the plants data and control
The implementation of all components is strictly based on open source software and open protocols running on Linux OS. All modules are connected to each other via communication channels based on standard Internet protocols.For more information: http://blog.telegea.org/index.php/about-2/
Deep Sea Electric ActuatorSystem Overview
A subsea gas compression system has been developed in order to boost gas pressure in existing reservoirs. This allows additional gas to be recovered from the fields while providing reduced capex and opex compared with alternatives.
Electric actuators (operating at depths of up to 3000 meters below sea level) were developed for the gas compression system.
Some of the reasons for using electric actuators are:
• Long standoff distances and ultra deep-water fields
• Applies specifically to fields in Arctic regions where 25 percent of the world’s undiscovered hydrocarbons are believed to be located
• Supply of hydraulics is complex and expensive
• High demands on Umbilical and topside hydraulic power units
• Loss of hydraulic fluid is a significant contributor to operating costs
• Installation costs of electric solutions are significantly cheaper than traditional hydraulic systems
• Because the interfaces are simplified, electric solutions reduce system engineering and testing time.
• Condition monitoring and product optimization also are improved with electric solutions, as are flexibility, scalability, and operability
• Improved response time: Electric solutions also benefit operators when rapid and accurate control is requiredDEK Technologies Contribution:
DEK Technologies worked as part of a team to develop a family of Electric Actuators to be used in Subsea Oil and Gas processing.
DEK Technologies was responsible for the development of the control and power electronic subsystems in the Electric Actuators. The family of Electric Actuators share common electronics and meet at least SIL Level 3 with fully redundant control units.